When it comes to Valentine’s Day makeup, according to AWC there are only two directions to go in:
SOFT & ROMANTIC or HOT & SEXY!
Hot, Sexy & Smoldering:
- This look is all about the smoky eye. It’s best to go with a dark eyeshadow color such as charcoal grey, chocolate brown, navy or a deep plum.
- Don’t be afraid to add some shimmer to the center & inner corners of your eyelids for a pop.
- To properly enhance your eyes you want to use good lash thickening mascara and winged eyeliner. Do not fear the liner ladies!
- Line your eyes with a waterproof liquid liner or a sharp kohl liner. If you need help applying your liner, use little tricks such as tape or the three dot method. If you are not familiar with these techniques hit the internet and check out the many eyeliner tutorials that are now at your disposal, or come in to the studio and we would be happy to give you a lesson on applying eyeliner!
- Artificial lashes can also be used to enhance your eyes.
- Apply a matte and neutral bronzer (look for cool tones, versus orange warm tones in a bronze) to the hollows of your cheeks and where the sun would naturally hit you at the top of your forehead, along your jawline and the bridge of your nose to complete this impressive look.
- A bold lip color is too much when paired with a smoky eye so it’s best to compliment this look with a subtle nude lip and a coat of clear gloss.
- If you’re all about the red lip for Valentine’s Day, skip the smoky eye and stick to a gorgeous cat eye look with liner and lashes and let your red lips be the focal point.
Soft, Romantic & Natural:
- The focus for this look is glowing gorgeous skin! Aim for natural, feminine beauty.
- Apply a light-reflecting sheer foundation and use a concealer only where you need it most. Concealer tip: Draw upside-down triangles under your eyes to brighten up the under eye area and lift up your cheek bones. Use your ring finer or a sponge to blend the concealer.
- If you have a particularly oily t-zone, dust with translucent powder to set.
- Add warmth to the skin with a light dusting of bronzer along the edges of your face and gently across the bridge of the nose, where the sunlight would naturally fall. Accent your cheekbones by contouring with your bronzer in the hollows of your cheeks with an angular motion. Hot Tip: Use a fan brush to really get into the hollows of your cheeks. Hold the brush towards the top to allow a lighter application, less is more and you can always add more color, but it is difficult to remove a layer of bronzer once you have applied it.
- Add a few swipes of rosy or sheer pink blush to the apple of your cheeks and blend up to your hairline.
- Brush on a neutral eyeshadow from your lash line up to the crease and add a touch of highlighter to your brow bone. Hot Tip: Use a flesh tone highlighter here rather than a bright white highlighter for a more natural look.
- Take this look up a notch by using a fine eyeliner brush and apply a thin line of matte mocha shadow just under the roots of the lower lashes and blend to touch in the inner corners to open up your eyes. For a fuller lash base, tight-lining your lid by lifting your lid and gently apply the shadow to the line just below your lashes.
- Don’t forget to pump up the lash volume by curling your eyelashes and following up with your favorite volumizing mascara. Hot Tip: Pump the eyelash curler 3 times and then hold for 5 seconds on each eye for the perfect, long-lasting curl.
- To finish off this soft and subtle look add a pink or peach gloss to your lips.